Friday, November 16, 2007

Hoosiers Pummel Boilers 42-24 in Bucket Game

Well, actually not yet. It still Friday, November 16th and the kick-off isn't for another 24 hours. But, the reason for my bold prediction is a result of attending the Annual IU/Purdue Old Oaken Bucket Luncheon at the Columbia Club in downtown Indy.

I was invited to attend by Matt Rittenhouse who represents Merrill Lynch here in Indianapolis. Little did I know that I was in for a memorable day. Upon arriving, I was greeted by Matt, his dad Ron, Gregg Boehning, and other fans of the losing team. Matt told me to sit at Table #2, so I worked my way through the crowd and found my table. I saw a familiar face in Terry Thompson, Superintendent of Wayne Township Schools, whose son Dan played for IU and had a pivotal role in beating the Boilers the last time I think the Hoosiers won the Bucket. I was a much younger man back then. The Hoosiers actually did have the winning score about six years ago, but the weather was the dominant force that day. Rain, wind, and bad coaching beat the Boilers that day.

So, what makes me so confident that tomorrow will be different? Well, the next person to arrive at my table was Coach Lynch, then Terry Hutchens from the Indianapolis Star sat down followed by Bob Lovell who was the MC. I was at the head, I mean, winner's table. And just to my left about 5 feet away sat "The Bucket". This NEVER happens to me. It was nirvana for a guy who has lived most of his life in the background. If I was in Iraq, I'd be driving a fuel tanker, not the M-1 Abrams tank. If I worked at the Playboy Mansion, I'd be the guy cutting the grass-not grabbing some ***. I couldn't say a word. I just took in all in. I listened to Coach talk about how the players were killing each other in practice, so they stopped hitting on Wednesday. Terry was talking about his new book about Coach Hep. Bob Lovell knew everyone in the room except me and he even knows me now. It was great!

Anyway, Mark Herman, former QB from Purdue spoke first to the crowd. He did a nice job. I didn't know Purdue alumni could do public speaking because it rarely happens. Then Coach Lynch took the podium and immediately received a standing ovation from the IU faithful and a few of the Purdue folks. Most of Purdue folks just sat there and wondered why all of the fuss. It was then I realized that it's our year. The Hoosiers want it more. The Boilers just think they need to show up, thump the Hoosiers, and get their annual invite to some obscure bowl in El Paso then spend the winter talking about why they should fire Tiller. Well, we are going to win, PLAY 13 like Coach Hep wanted, and be thrilled to go to any bowl even if it is in Detroit.

When all of the festivities ended, I walked over to my left, rubbed an "I" hanging off the side of the Bucket, and gave it a gentle hug. Perfect.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want to shake the hand the touched the bucket. May it please be ours again.

kylemeek said...

Well, you almost had the point differential right until the 4th quarter collapse. Still, though, what a way to win one for Hep!

albina N muro said...

Water-tube boilers differ from shell type boilers in that the water is circulated inside the tubes, with the heat source surrounding them. boiler systems for homes