Friday, September 20, 2013

Now What

I've been missing. I've been busy-really busy. About three years ago I went back to the family biz after an 18 month hiatus to close it. That was not what I hope to do twenty years ago, but I'll spare you the details. It needed to be done. I thought I could do it in three to six months, but I couldn't have been more wrong. It continues.

 I filed a final tax return, paid the final invoices, continue to pay insurance premiums just in case someone came out of the woodwork with a scheme to sue me. But, the federal, state, and local governments want me to continue to pay up as we have for the past fifty-plus years. So, I keep biking (It's easier than parking a car)over to the City-County building, Indiana Statehouse, and the Homer Capehart (I met the goober during high school at the State Fair) Federal Building to show them that Modern Photo Offset Supply, Inc. was dead, dissolved, defunct, and that I am dizzy trying. Nevertheless, the "official" letters continue. I paid an invoice from the feds last month for unemployment insurance for the last two months for the last two employees. They wanted $19.45 and another tax return while proving that I was deader than the Wicked Witch of the West. I sent a vial of blood as a bonus just in case.

 Where am I now? My two brothers and I still own the real estate that will be worth something someday. My wife still continues to achieve even though all she wants to do is be a teacher. My sons are incredible. All three are doing meaningful work. Me? I'm a grinder. I made a good living doing something most people never understood nor cared about. My grandchildren are smart and beautiful. And, I am financially secure assuming I do not live to 103 years of age. I am a truly blessed man.

 Oh, my dog Wrigley loves me, too.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice to see you back on-line Indy Ted! Margaret

m.s.Woods said...

Hi Ted, I just stumbled upon your blog. It's a shame you had to go through so much hassle to prove to the government that you were no longer in business! --Mike Woods