Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Why Live in Indianapolis?


It certainly isn't Chicago or New York City, but it has been a good place to earn a living and raise a family. I've lived on the east , north, and south sides of the city. Since the offspring have left the nest, the Mrs. and I have lived downtown for the past six years. So, what's been my favorite? They all have their own unique advantages.

- The east side a great place to grow up. Almost anything you need is no more than a bike ride away.
- The north side is "nicer". The houses are bigger, the shopping is better, but you need a car for every member of the family. Nothing is close to where you live.
- Living on the south side is like being in "Pleasantville". It is a very uncomfortable place to be if you're a Democrat.
- I'll reserve my opinion of the west side since I have never lived on that side of town, but I will say it lacks the neighborhoods like Irvington, Kessler/Meridian, and Garfield Park.

So, what is it like to live downtown? For starters, most downtown residents have not lived here their entire lives. Quite a few were born in another country. We have neighbors from Scotland, Mexico, England, Singapore, Turkey, Argentina, and Nebraska. Most are professionals of one kind or another, very few ever had children, and all are quite at ease being around someone different from themselves. Actually, they enjoy it.

So, in closing, for the few who read this thanks for your time. The sun is setting and I'm going to go share a bottle of wine with whoever is out in the courtyard.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Ted. I'm from southern Indiana, but I'll be up in Indy next weekend to entertain some friends. Any recommendations on a good casual place to eat and drink?

Ted Meek said...

Head over to Mass Avenue just northeast from the circle. Scholar's Inn and Agio's have upscale dining with outdoor seating. Old Point Tavern which has been around for over a hundred years is more casual and also has outdoor seating, but I'd avoid it if you do not like smoking. Bazbeaux Pizza has the best pizza in Indy but no liquor. If you're looking for a view, go to Shelby Street Cafe in Fountain Square southeast of downtown at Virginia and Shelby Street and you can eat on the roof six stories above the street.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Ted. We're gonna try Shelby Street!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I think downtown is pretty. We're thinking of moving nearer to the city so my girls can be closist to there doctors. How much are doubles and how much do they weigh?

C. Dakota

Anonymous said...

Are you still taking questions about your city? My wife and I have lived and worked in Washington DC for the better part of 12 years now. She was in Indy this past week and fell in love with it. We have looked at real-estate prices and well houses that cost $250,000 there would cost $800,000 here, so that's a bonus. We have a three year old and don't want her to go to school in this area. I can probably bring my job with me which would probably afford my wife the ability to be a stay at home mom. What advice and what area might you recommend?