Sunday, October 21, 2007

Gettin' to the Airport

Did you realize that their is another way to get to the airport other than driving your car? No, I'm not talking about the taxi. I'm talking about Indy's version of mass transit, Indygo. Still confused? I'm talking about the bus stupid.

Let's say you're leaving town for a long weekend. It's going to cost you or a friend at least six bucks plus the wear and tear on your car to get to the airport. But, if you drive your own car and park at one of the lots it will cost you seven more bucks a day to park. Add it up. We're talking around thirty-five Uncle Sams for a round trip to your crib.

If you take Indygo, it will cost you a measly $3.00 cash(correct change please). Also, not to mention, you'll make Al Gore and the polar bears happy. Plus, you'll save yourself a car wash. There is nothing like the grime of jet engines blowing carbon on your car for four days in addition to the creeps who ding your car in the lot.

Oh ,you say it takes longer? It takes 40 minutes to the terminal door on Indygo from downtown which is where you should be living anyway. I defy you to drive to the airport, park your car, wait for the shuttle, and get to your respective check-in in less time. Unless, you live in Carmel or Zionsville. In that case, you are probably planning to build your own airport so you won't need to drive south of 96th Street.

I also did it in New York City. It cost me $4.00 to get to La Guardia versus the typical fare of $40-50 via the cab with Mohamed Abdullah Oblongata at the wheel. My only advice in NYC was to keep repeating "Como este" on the train. It made the locals smile.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ted,

This is the kind of GOLD I'm talking about. You have an infinite amount of wisdom (or bitterness) in that head of yours you need to let out. If this medium would have only been available years ago........I wonder how our lives would have been different.

Anonymous said...

I've been using public transportation for 9 of the last 10 years. It might sound odd but cars are too much of a hassle for me. When I need a car these days, I just rent or use a city car share program. It's about 1/10 the cost of owning a car (I use only when I need it) w/ non of the downsides associated with owning a car (gas, insurance, parking, etc.).

Julie Meek said...

I agree with IndyTed on this one. My BMW is 2 years old and I've only put about 6,000 miles on the car because I live downtown and walk everywhere. For those who know me, I know, I know...I haven't been at home much lately and have burnt more in jet fuel than car fuel, but what can I say? I try to do what I can when I can!