Thursday, November 20, 2008

Pessimism vs. Optimism vs. Faith

My father was an optimist. He always felt that you could accomplish whatever you wanted to achieve. My father-in-law was a pessimist. He raised a family during the deepest part of the Great Depression and felt until his dying day that the world was in for a day of reckoning. They were both very smart men and they were both right.

Now, we are confronted with one of the most difficult times, economically, of the last 80 years. Things are literally falling apart when it comes to our home values, IRA's, 401K's, and the value of anything we have always thought was going to be the ticket to our financial security.

So, what do you do? I've been watching a lot of CNBC, reading the WSJ, and checking the value of my retirement accounts on the Internet. It's all out of my control and it's like I'm watching a movie reel in slow motion that I can't stop from playing to the end I don't want to watch.

Or, should I just have "faith" that everything is going to be OK?

Maybe, I should.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should have faith....His name is Jehovah Jireh, God of my provision. Take your eyes off the news, off the retirement fund and get em back on Jesus. God has provided so much in my life when there was no way of provision as far as one's eyes could see. He is no respector of persons....what He has done for me He is MORE then able to do for you. Psalm 121:1-2 "I will life up my eyes to the hills - from whence comes my help? My help comes from the Lord who made heaven & earth."...says it all.

Anonymous said...

No matter what others say, I think it is still interesting and useful maybe necessary to improve some minor things