Monday, December 8, 2008

One-way vs. Two-way Streets in Indy

It sounds like the city planners are starting to mess with more changes (Heaven forbid!) in Indianapolis. I guess the nice thing is that it won't cost the taxpayers hundreds of millions of dollars. Changing a few one-way streets into two-way streets will primarily be the cost of re-lining the streets and making the stop signs face both ways (kind of like a moderate politician).

What would we possibly gain by doing such a heinous act? Why not find out? Let's try something different to grow our downtown other than handing out millions of tax subsidies to corporations which pay less than their fair share of the property taxes.

I am not an urban planner, but let me at least reflect on what I do know from living in this city for 58 years. When I was a squirt running around downtown in the '50's, the sidewalks were packed with people. We had a vibrant shopping district that had the finest of everything. It was actually exciting to be downtown even if you didn't have any money. I know because all I had when I left home was enough bus fare to get there and back home.

On the other hand, Indy had a bunch of traffic and interstates did not exist. so, the planners came up with the idea of re-directing a bunch of streets one-way north, south, east and west. It worked. Everyone could get home to the burbs in less than a half hour. Of course, back then Broad Ripple was the north end of the city, Irvington was the east, the Speedway was the west, and Southern Plaza was way, way south of town. Eventually, the interstates were built in the late '70's and things downtown have been gradually dying ever since. People have moved farther and farther from downtown to the point where a very low percentage live or work in Center Township. Hence, our tax base is a mess.

So, what would two-way streets do to help? What I do know is that whenever I visit my oldest son in New York City he shows me unbelievably expensive residences located on two-way streets. When I visit my #2 son in San Francisco, he shows me the same. By the way, they both rent. Neither can afford to buy. But, they love living there. There are shops, restaurants, and entertainment surrounding them in all directions within walking distance.

Furthermore, how many times have you found it necessary to give confusing directions to someone you are trying to meet at St. Elmo's which is on one-way north street Illinois but they are headed south on Capitol, but miss the turn to one-way east on Maryland and need to turn back north on on one-way Delaware to get to...

See what I mean.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The city planners do not change streets; the traffic engineers of DPW change them and they do not want to change them. There actually is substantial cost, with respect to adding traffic signals ($30.000 to $100,000 dollars per light - depends upon the complexity of the intersection.