Sunday, November 2, 2008

Wrigley Goes for a Walk


It was gorgeous outside yesterday! So, I invited the Mrs. and Wrigley, our Westie, to go for a walk. We took the Lockerbie route with the hope that there would be enough leaves on the ground. My lovely loves to walk through the leaves in the fall. But, the season is arriving late and the leaves are hanging on for at least another week.

We then took a left onto Mass Ave. It doesn't matter which route we take. It always eventually ends up going by the Starbucks. Mrs. AskIndyTed loves her tea and Wrigley likes the activity outside whether it has two (humans), four (dogs), or six (bugs) legs. I've never seen him go for a spider (eight), yet.

Anyway, there is a little shaded park just outside with a brick wall to sit on while you enjoy your beverage. That's when Chandice, a retired lady with bright red hair who lives above Starbucks in an apartment, walked up. She loves Wrigley. I know why. You can't keep from smiling when you see him. She lives alone and for whatever reason, Wrigley lights her up. We were soon caught up in conversation about the election and downtown churches. You know you are in for some conversation when Chandice shows up.

Meanwhile, I kept Wrigs on the leash so he wouldn't wander off during our chat when a homeless man stopped about 20 feet away. I normally try to avoid any interaction with the homeless. I am uncomfortable denying requests for anything from money to bus fare, so I just avoid making eye contact. Well, Dr. Wriggleby has no such limitations to prospective friendships. So, he walked right up to the man and gave him "the look". You know. It's the one that cute little dogs give you. That's when I noticed out of the corner of my eye, the man asked me if he could offer some of his dinner to Wrigley. It was nothing special. It was some kind of cake in a box. But, it was "his" dinner and he wanted to share it with Wrigs.

I was touched. Here I have the means to help him and he is offering his food to my dog. This Thanksgiving, I will be thinking of him and giving thanks for all of my blessings. I have many.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You can learn alot from a dog. They don't have any apprehensions and are such examples of true compassion. Perhaps you and ole Wrigs could volunteer at a local soup kitchen this Thanksgiving.