Monday, November 30, 2009

Being Merried


No, that isn't a typo. I am talking about what I have had some difficulty with from time to time. You see, I've become a bit of a curmudgeon in my later years. I imagine it is a bit of an aversion to experiencing disappointment. Please understand, I just retired as a salesperson. In sales, rejection is a daily occurrence and you become a bit hardened as a means of self-preservation. Sometimes, after a long hard series of rejections, you are just not a lot of fun.


But, I'm getting off the subject, which is to find a way to become a "light" instead of a Captain Dark Cloud. This past weekend, I had my very own "It's a Wonderful Life" experience. You see, I have been in a royal funk over the past few years--frustrated with the way "things" have turned out. There's no reason to re-hash my past. Let's just say it was not what I had envisioned for myself.

Then, last weekend, we threw a party!

Over a hundred friends, family, and neighbors came to our home to celebrate the engagement of Joel (my second oldest) to a wonderful woman named Jo. It was quite an event in our small downtown condo. There was conversation, laughter, hugging, kissing, great food, stories, and me--feeling just like Jimmy Stewart at the end of the movie. It does not matter what has happened in your life. It only matters that people care.

So, feeling a little down? Hug someone. 'Tis the season for "Being Merried".

No comments: