Thursday, November 26, 2009

Litterbugs


I was recently fortunate to travel across the pond to visit the Queen and her subjects. And, I must say, London seems to really have its act together. The city is absolutely beautiful, rich with history, fast-paced (I've never seen people walk that fast), polite, well-dressed, and VOID of litter. I'm not kidding! No trash anywhere except in the few hard to find trash receptacles.


Why would I notice? Because, I live on a busy city street in Indy when folks seems to think it is quite appropriate to toss whatever they like on the ground. What is even more amazing is that most litter is comprised of a fairly limited variety. So, here's my list and a few suggestions.

1) Cigarette butts. Please swallow them when done. I feel like I'm touching your lips every time I pick one up.
2) Snack bags. Do you realize that the half-life of a snack bag is longer than a human life? Stop eating this crap and you'll live longer in a cleaner environment.
3) Candy wrappers. Eat all of the candy you want. My brother is a dentist and he could use the business, but please stick the wrapper in you pocket and let your dog sniff it when you get home.
4) Hostess Twinkie, Ho-Ho, Cupcake, and any thing with a creme or fruit filling wrappers. Have you ever read what is in them? Your first clue should be the way they spell "creme". It's not really cream. It's an emulsion of chemicals they had leftover after making window caulk. Is that what you're doing? Caulking your pie hole?
5) Soft drink bottles. If you're thirsty, drink water. When the bottle is empty, fill it up and use it again.
6) Plastic shopping bags. Instead of taking out the aforementioned items and throwing them on the ground followed by the bag, keep the bag. Then, put your trash in it and carry it to the closest receptacle.

Better yet, don't buy any of these diabetic/heart disease time bombs. Take your slimmer self to the bank and buy a CD instead.

No comments: