Thursday, October 16, 2008

Aunts & Uncles

I just found out today that my Aunt G passed away. I was made aware a couple of weeks ago that she was not doing well and that if I wanted to see her I had better do it soon. Well, I got busy, distracted, or just forgetful. But, today I just felt that needed to be a priority, so I headed down to Greenwood to see her during my lunch hour.

Serendipitously, upon arriving at the front desk of Greenwood Village, the receptionist was the wife of the gentleman who got me over the hump in the sales game. Her mother, Ann, who is now 98, was my sons' babysitter back in the '80s. Then Dr. Hardin, who also in his '90s, walked in the door. I was surrounded by people I hadn't seen in years. That's when I found out that Aunt G had passed away that morning. I was late again. Dang it.

I was blessed to have a plethora of Aunts and Uncles. And, they were all very smart. They were a reflection of mainstream America. They all grew up during the Great Depression...hopefully the last one. Some served in World War II, others ran successful small businesses, two of them were nurses which seems to run in the family, and one of them took on the responsibility as head of the family when my grandparents died too young. They were all incredibly reliable when it came time to help out a family member. It was something my parents always did and now I know why. It was something they all accepted. Take care of your family even if they drive you nuts some of the time.

So, forgive me Aunt G for not coming to see you sooner. I'm sure you already have.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know you're busy with your steeple-plot and all but SIX DAYS! Come on IndyTed, get to writin'!

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about the passing of Auntie G. The hussle and bustle of life can keep you distracted from the more important things in life....God & family.....here's to more time with both!