Monday, January 5, 2009

Undoing Christmas


I'm a bit of a grouch. I admit it. If it was against the law, I'd be serving time. But, it's not. Therefore, I blog when I'm in "the mood". Like yesterday, it was the dreaded day to undecorate the house.

Last month, I was spared most of the decorating ordeal when the Mrs. commissioned new decor for the tree and fireplace including installation and setup. And, I must admit, the tree and fireplace were stunning! I did help drag out all of the boxes and other decorations which she displayed around the house including her Dickens Village in the dining room. We were now poised for shopping, cleaning, setup for "TheMeekTwins" and numerous runs to the airport which is now 5 miles farther away, but I'll save that for another blog.

That gets us up to December 21st, so let me fast forward to January 4th. If you need the details between those dates check out "TheMeekTwins" and "JuliesPinkLink" blogs.

We're tired! But, whatever goes up must come down. Fortunately, we had the help of Cathy and her hubby, George (pictured) who originally beautifully created and set up our decorations. After they expertly helped pack the delicate stuff and the Anaconda (the garland aptly named by Cathy due to its length and girth) was entombed under the guest bed, we had used enough of their day, so thanked them for this blessing and sent them on their way. But we still had our own miniature version of Gaza City left to clean up. By now, my back, neck, shoulder, and hip were screaming at me. I dared not to ask how my lady felt since she was just six days post-op.

Never to be deterred from finishing, she pressed on and I tried to stay in her draft. I'm not kidding. She is a beast when a task is to be finished and she had set a deadline of today. If I had stopped, I would likely have ended up in a plastic storage container in the closet not to be found until the next Yuletide season. But, we persevered until we were finished.

And I heard her exclaim with the boxes out of sight, "Let's get your buns upstairs and turn out the lights!"

No comments: